Friday, February 6, 2009

Obedient In The Little Things

Why is it so hard to do what God asks of us? Its very rarely anything bad, dangerous or totally humiliating. Its usually stuff like, pray for that person, or get up at 4am and seek him, go tell someone you are sorry, give someone money, take someone food etc. Maybe your afraid to be obedient in the little things because he may ask more of you if you are. No maybe about it, He will. But it's actually a beautiful thing. The reward that comes with obedience is his presence.

I discovered today that my struggle is not in doing what he has called me to do but in deciding if I am going to do it or not. My struggle is in surrendering. Once I surrender and decide to do what he is asking of me, thats when he steps in and covers me with his grace and takes the burden and carries me to the other side. I decided today as I begin my quest to have more of him, to surrender to his will faster, to stop struggling with my desires vs his desires for my life. I also discovered today that contemplating and analyzing is really a waste of time. I inevitably can not say "no". God is bringing me to a place that leaves me with only 1 option, and that is to do what he has asked of me.

I heard the perfect line Wednesday night. Joyce Meyers was at our church, yes right here in little Victoria Texas. It was truly a blessing. Anyway she explained that God prunes you off the vine if you aren't bearing fruit and he prunes you so you can bear fruit so once she realized "I'm pruned if I do and I'm pruned if I don't." She decided she would rather be pruned to bear fruit. I so got that. I mean really, if I don't obey, I am left miserable until I do what he has asked of me and then when I obey he takes the burden of what he has asked me to do, fills me with his unexplainable love and his peace and his joy overwhelms me. So why struggle? Beats me....All I can say, is "dumb sheep."

I thank God he is patient, loving and merciful. He waits for me to get it.

Father I'm Getting it...

3 comments:

jkc said...

I definitely can relate...I always struggle with my own wants and needs.

Hope you're okay and still writing!

awareness said...

He's got the patience of a.....hmmmm! What comforts me is that God has the patience to let me stumble and tumble along. He also gave us free will which I believe was a generous gift. Our obedience and our boundaries we test often because of our "will..." I think sometimes He likes to see us work it out first before surrendering. discomfort is where we learn best, don't you think?.

Theresa said...

Hi jkc, I have missed you :>

Hi Awareness, thank you for your comment.

I do agree that discomfort is where we learn best mostly because we are hard headed (at least I am anyway lol), however I also believe as we mature spiritually we shouldn't struggle with the same things. Our war is with our "will" which I identify as my "flesh". The beauty is as we "war" with our will vs his will we aren't bathed in condemnation but in his love. I'm not sure if God likes to see us work it out first before surrendering due to the undue pain that may cause. I know he doesn't take pleasure in our pain no matter how small therefore I believe he would rather see us surrender it all at once, but I am comforted to know that his grace is enough to cover all my weaknesses and as I meditate on his word and seek him, my weaknesses become smaller as he becomes bigger IN Me.
He is truly an amazing and loving God. Thanks for sharing!

I created a new blog to practice my story writing at http://www.itsonlyastory.blogspot.com/. Your critique is encouraged, good or bad but please be specific.